Welcome to Bloomberg Law’s Wake Up Call, a daily rundown of the top news for lawyers, law firms, and in-house counsel.
- Flexible lawyer services company Axiom launched an Arizona law firm, Axiom Advice & Counsel, after the state supreme court granted the subsidiary a license to practice under 2020 rules allowing nonlawyer owners of law firms. Axiom is the latest of several alternative legal services companies to set up in the state, including Law on Call and LegalZoom, among others. (counsel-aac-301727312.html”PRNewswire.com)
- K&L Gates grabbed a seven-partner private equity team from Dentons LLP’s Pittsburgh office. They include partners Chris Thel, Ron Aulbach, Curt Anderson, John Wingerter, Lauren Crossett, Andrea Steiner, and Jeff Berkey. (KLGates.com)
- Donald Trump hired criminal defense trial lawyer Joe Tacopina to take on former Manhattan prosecutor Mark Pomerantz for allegedly defaming the former president. Tacopina, a senior partner of a New York boutique firm, has defended clients including embattled Washington Commanders co-owner Dan Snyder, rapper Meek Mill, and Fox News host Sean Hannity. (TMZ)
Lawyers, Law Firms
- Recent changes to Florida’s trust laws have made the state increasingly attractive to the private trusts of ultra-wealthy families and the Big Law firms that advise them. (Daily Business Reviews)
- A New York state bill would prohibit Madison Square Gardens Entertainment Corp. and other sports venues from refusing entry to opposing lawyers in litigation and other perceived enemies. (Associated Press)
- Dechert’s new Paris offices in the city’s Eighth arrondissement occupy three floors of an “iconic” eight-story building that formerly housed the headquarters of the broadcasting company RTL. (Law.com International)