LAS VEGAS — A Las Vegas lawyer accused of orchestrating a $460 million “slip-and-fall” Ponzi scheme across the US West was granted release Friday after spending more than a year in federal custody.
US District Judge Cam Ferenbach said he was persuaded by Matthew Beasley’s “strong family support” to give the personal injury lawyer a chance at leading a “productive life” as he awaits a trial on charges of money laundering and wire fraud.
While out of custody, Ferenbach said, Beasley was required to maintain employment and barred from contacting any of the alleged victims in the case or possessing a weapon.
Assistant US Attorney Daniel Schiess told the judge the federal government would appeal the decision and ask for a court order keeping Beasley in custody pending the outcome of the appeal.
Beasley was indicted last week in connection with the alleged scheme but has been in custody since March 2022, when he was shot and wounded by FBI agents who arrived at his $1.1 million home in Las Vegas to question him.
Prosecutors have said Beasley answered the door that day with a gun aimed at his own head. A four-hour standoff ensued that ended after SWAT officers entered the home.
He was charged with assault on a federal officer, leading to his year-long detainment, but that charge was dismissed last week following his indictment in connection with the alleged Ponzi scheme.
Friday’s hearing was at times contentious as Schiess argued for Beasley’s continued detention, citing the standoff as evidence he poses a danger to the community and to himself.
Jackie Tirinnanzi, a lawyer for Beasley, told the judge her client has a renewed outlook on life as he awaits the birth of his grandchild. She said Beasley also wanted to reconnect with his children and help